Mount Rinjani 4 Day / 3 Night Summit
Our 4 day / 3 night Mount Rinjani package explores the beautiful Mt Rinjani National Park, culminating in reaching the summit of one of Indonesia’s most iconic peaks. The trail runs in two directions, finishing in either Sembalun Village or Senaru Village. This trek is suited to travellers wishing to make the most of this beautiful National Park, from schools and outdoor clubs to families, friends, couples and honeymooners seeking an adventurous getaway.
Personal Journeys and Shared Experiences
To climb a big mountain is to embark on a personal journey, to climb with a group of friends or someone you love is to share a life changing experience, one that will live-on through the memory of shared experience. Spending four days away from the stresses of modern-day life, amongst the raw beauty of volcanoes, rainforests and lakes is something many people yearn for deep within their souls. 21st century life can be tough and the demands of deadlines, emails, conferences and 24/7 availability can take its toll. Our Mount Rinjani 4 Day / 3 Night Summit package is designed for people wishing to reconnect with nature, and take a break from the stresses of modern day-life. It’s also ideal for school groups, clubs and yoga retreats wishing to embark on a voyage of discovery together.
“If I get to the top, I think anything will be possible!”
Rinjani Dawn Adventures has successfully run 4 day / 3 night Mt Rinjani treks for a variety of groups and organisations, couples and individuals. In 2017 we ran a fundraising trek for the Pelita Foundation, a not for profit organisation based in Gerupuk, South Lombok. This involved taking a group of 15 school children aged 12-17 up Mt Rinjani, in a bid to raise funds for their education and ongoing development. The Pelita trek was a huge success, not only raising enough money for a new school, but also imbuing these courageous children with a genuine sense of accomplishment and confidence. A documentary film of the children’s amazing achievement can be found on our YouTube channel here. Since then, we have run multiple treks for school and youth organisations, as well as yoga retreats and honeymooners wanting to experience an ultimate adventure together. Safety and professional planning are fundamental to all of these expeditions.
Transport and Lodging Before the Trek
We include transportation from hotels in North Lombok in the price of the package. If you are staying on Lombok and want to spend a night in Senaru before the trek, we can arrange transport for the day before (and assist with accommodation). If you want to be collected on the morning of the trek, our driver will collect you from your hotel at a pre-arranged time (early!). More information about transport and accommodation can be found on our FAQ page.
Departure/Return LocationRinjani Dawn Adventures office, Senaru.
Departure TimeRoute 1 from Senaru (approx. 8am trek start) Route 2 from Sembalun (6am).
Return TimeRoute 1 (approx. 4pm) and Route 2 (approx. 3pm) depending on group fitness levels.
What guests should bringPlease refer to our equipment list and packing guide. As the porters and guides carry the camping and cooking equipment, you should be able to carry everything you personally need in a 30-40L day-pack.
IncludedBottled water, Tea & CoffeeCamping EquipmentEntrance feeLoan jackets/gloves/beanies (subject to availability)Luggage StorageMeals & SnacksPoncho’sTour Guide & Porter/sTransport to and from departure/return point in Zone 1 (refer to travel zones for alternative regions/costs)Trekking Poles
Not Included1 night basic accommodation (pre-trek)FlightsFree RDA BuffTour guideTransport to and from departure/return point outside of Zone 1 (refer to travel zones for alternative regions/costs)Travel InsuranceVisit to Sendang Gile waterfall in Senaru
Route 1: Start in Senaru Village & finish in Sembalun Village. Summit on final day (4)
Day 1 - Senaru > Senaru Crater Rim(Approximately 7 hours walking; 2040m ascent)
- 7:30am – RDA guide briefing & equipment issue at the RDA office, Senaru. We send an equipment and packing guide when you make your booking along with additional information about the trek. At our office you will be able to borrow things such ponchos / rain jackets, gloves and hats, where available.
- 8:15am – Visitor registration at the Rinjani Trek Centre, Senaru. Rinjani Dawn Adventures pay the park entrance fee, but it is a requirement for all to sign the log book before the trek commences.
- 8:40am – Begin your 4 day / 3 night Mt Rinjani adventure from the start-point in Senaru village (601m elevation).
- Hike for roughly 60 minutes, reach Bunut Ngengkang (Pos 1, 750m). Rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Hike for roughly 2 hours, reach Montong Satas (Pos 2, 1500m). 1.5 hour lunch break. Your guide and porters will prepare a hot meal using fresh ingredients whilst you rest and re-hydrate.
- Hike for roughly 1 hour, reach Mondokan Lokak (Pos 3, 2000m). Rest at Pos 3 for 20 minutes before continuing to the crater rim campsite.
- It takes around 2 hours to hike to the crater rim from Pos 3, depending on fitness levels and how many impromptu breaks we take.
- Arrive at Senaru Crater Rim (2641m). Whilst the team set up camp and start preparing the evening meal we suggest changing into warm clothes, as the temperature can drop significantly when the sun goes down. Senaru Crater Rim has some amazing views of the mountain, lake and neighbouring Bali, so it’s well worth packing a camera.
- After dinner you can sit up and watch the stars or hit the sack after a demanding first day.
Senaru Crater Rim > Lake(Approximately 4 hours hiking; 640m descent)
- 8:30am – Leisurely breakfast at the crater rim campsite.
- 9:30am – Pack-up camp and commence descent down to lake Segara Anak. The walk down to the lake from the crater rim is steep in parts, with some scrambling sections. Your guide will ensure you descend in as controlled and safe manner as possible, but it is important to pay attention and listen to instructions from your guide and porters.
- 12:30pm – Arrive at the crater lake. Have a rest and lunch by the lake.
- 1:30pm – Visit the thermal springs that are located 100m down from the crater rim. Visiting the thermal springs is not compulsory, if you would rather lounge by the lake and read a book this is totally ok. But many people find the warm thermal pools very relaxing and great for stiff muscles.
- 3pm – Walk back to the lake campsite from the thermal springs.
- The rest of the afternoon is yours. You can swim in the lake, relax under a tree, explore the lake shores and admire the stunning Mt Barujari (the active volcano that rises out of the lake).
- Dinner, rest and sleep!
Lake > Sembalun Crater Rim(Approximately 4-5 hours trekking, 640m ascent)
- 8:30am – Relaxed breakfast at lake Segara Anak campsite
- 9:30am – Bathe at the thermal springs, should you wish.
- 10:30am – Pack-up tents and have a coffee and snack before departing the lake.
- 11am – Start walking up the eastern ridges towards Sembalun Crater Rim (Plawangan Sembalun). The route to Sembalun Crater Rim from lake Segara Anak is easy to begin with, but gets progressively harder towards the top. There are some steep sections, which involve some scrambling over rocky sections. But there will be plenty of time to stop for rests, and your guide will be on hand to assist where required.
- 3-4pm – Arrive at Sembalun Crater Rim campsite.
- 5:30pm –Early dinner, as you will be getting up very early the following morning to go to the summit of Mount Rinjani.
Sembalun Crater Rim > Summit > Sembalun(Approximately 10 hours trekking, 1042m ascent, 2757m descent
- 2am – Wake-up, have a hot drink and bite to eat.
- 2:30am – Leave basecamp and start the ascent to Mount Rinjani’s summit. Please note you will be starting in the dark, so it will be necessary to use torches and stay within the group. It’s important also to wear sufficient warm clothing, including hats and gloves. These can be taken off if you get too warm, but it’s important not to start the hike cold. Most people warm-up pretty quickly during the uphill sections!
- The ascent to Mount Rinjani’s summit takes 3-4 hours on average. Apart from one section of ridgeline, the ground is soft (as it comprises sandy volcanic tephra and small loose rocks). This means the going is slow but steady. We recommend trekking poles for all of our packages, but they will come in especially handy during the climb to the summit.
- 5:30am – Our intention is to reach the summit in time to watch sunrise. But this will depend on individual fitness levels and weather conditions. Your guide will be carrying a hot thermos for short stops on the way to the summit, but it is generally best to keep moving (as it can be cold in the early morning).
- 6:30am – Walk back down to basecamp (Plawangan Sembalun). This usually takes 2 hours.
- 9:30am –Start the walk off the mountain towards Semablun Village. Although this is mostly a downhill journey, it still takes time. The group will take scheduled breaks, and impromptu hydration and rest breaks.
- 12:30pm –Lunch.
- 2:30pm –Arrive back in Sembalun and meet awaiting RDA transport. It is possible that you will arrive either before or after this time, but 2:30 pm is our average.
- 4pm –Arrive back at Rinjani Dawn Adventures office, Senaru. Say farewell to your porters and guide. Redeem any luggage you have left with us at our office. Transport to onward location.
Tour Review Scores And Score Breakdown
See these reviews from former clients of Rinjani Dawn Adventures
Post a Comment
4 day / 3 night Mount Rinjani Summit & Lake Trek
Tour Plan Route 2: Start in Sembalun & finish in Senaru. Summit on second day
Day 1 – Sembalun > Sembalun Crater Rim(4)
- Transport from the RDA office in Senaru Village to Sembalun (we will collect you from Sembalun, should you be staying there).
- Registration at RTC Sembalun.
- Start your 4 day / 3 night Rinjani Summit trek from Sembalun village (969m).
- Trek for approximately 7 hours. There will be multiple rest-stops along the way, including a 1-1.5 hour lunch break, where your porters and guides will cook some delicious food.
- 4-5pm – Arrive at Sembalun Crater Rim campsite (also referred to as Plawangan Sembalun & “basecamp”). This sits around 2684m elevation, depending on where on the ridgeline we set-up camp for the night.
Sembalun Crater Rim > Summit > Lake(Approximately 8 hours walking; 1,042m ascent, 640m descent)
- 2am – Guides will wake you up with a hot drink, and a light breakfast.
- 2:30am – Leave basecamp, and start the climb to Mount Rinjani summit. It’s important to wear warm layers when we start, including hats and gloves. These can be taken-off as you warm-up, but as we will be leaving early in the morning it is likely to be cold, especially if there is a wind blowing.
- It takes on average three to four hours to reach the summit. The going will be slow but steady, as the terrain is steep and soft (volcanic sand / tephra).
- 5:30-6apm – We aim to reach the summit as the sun is coming-up over Lombok. Experience the amazing sense of achievement of reaching one of Indonesia’s highest peaks. Admire the views over the crater lake towards Bali, as well as neighbouring Sumbawa to the West. Have a hot cup of coffee / tea, and a snack.
- 7am – Return to basecamp. This is far easier than the walk up, and takes between 1 and 2 hours.
- 9am – Breakfast on Plawangan Sembalun. This will be leisurely, as the second part of the day will just involve descending down to the crater lake. Have a rest, and perhaps a little nap.
- 12pm – Lunch, followed by packing-up camp, and starting the walk down to the crater lake. The walk down to the crater lake is steep in parts, so you will have to take-care and ask your guide for a hand if you are not confident.
- 3pm (approx.) – Arrive at lake Segara Anak. Have a rest and snack whilst the porters and guide set-up camp.
- 3:30-4pm - Visit the thermal springs that are a short 15-20 minute walk from the campsite. Bathe and relax in these warm waters.
- 6pm – Dinner by the lake.
Lake > Senaru Crater Rim(Approximately 4 hours walking; 633m ascent)
- 8:30am – Wake-up, have breakfast.
- 9:30am – Explore the lake and go to the hot springs for a shower / bath.
- 11:30am – Pack-up camp and commence hike to Senaru Crater Rim (with rest breaks en route).
- 3:30pm – Arrive at Senaru Crater Rim, set up camp.
- 6pm – Dinner at Senaru Crater Rim, watch the sunset.
- Evening stargazing and sleep!
Senaru Crater Rim > Senaru(Approximately 5 hours walking; 2040m descent)
- 7:30am – Breakfast at Senaru Crater Rim.
- 9am – Commence walk off the mountain, back to Senaru village and Rinjani Dawn Adventures office./li>
- The walk down from Senaru Crater Rim involves 1 to 1½hrs on the open hill, and 3-4 hours walking down through the forest (on an established path). You will take regular rest breaks for snacks and rehydration.
- We will stop for lunch in the rainforest, breaking for roughly one hour.
- 2pm – Arrive at RTC Senaru. Depending on how many breaks you have taken, we expect you will arrive back at our office between 2 and 3pm. When back at our office you will be able to bid farewell to your porters and guide, and redeem any luggage you have left with us.
- Transport to onward destination (as pre-arranged).
Awesome 4d3n experience!! ….It was a wonderful experience and it would not have been possible without Rinjani Dawn Adventures. Highly recommend the 4D3N trek if you are looking for a not-so-rush and more leisure kind of trek.