Mount Rinjani 3 Day / 2 Night Summit & Lake
List price is based on a tour for a group of two or more people, fully catered, with personal guide and porters. If you are a large group, we can offer you the discounted rates of $230 per person (group booking of 4-8) or $217 (group booking of 8+). If you are a couple and want a private trek, please contact us for a quote. If you are booking as an individual, we will have to check to see if we have a group leaving on the date specified that you can join. Please read on for information about this awesome tour:
The Mount Rinjani 3 day / 2 night Summit & Lake package follows a trail through the magnificent Gunung Rinjani National Park (a UNESCO validated Geopark), that culminates on the summit (12,224ft / 3726m). The route can run in two directions, starting in either Senaru or Sembalun. Unlike the 2 day / 1 night package, the trail descends into Mt Rinjani’s massive caldera, zig-zagging down to lake Segara Anak and the soothing thermal springs. This provides a fantastic scene and a unique experience. You can swim in the lake, marvel at the active volcano sitting across the water, and rejuvenate your body in the mineral rich hot springs. The Mount Rinjani 3 day / 2 night trek is the package we recommend most to avid hikers/alpinists, as it provides the most well-rounded experience of the National Park.
“A life changing experience!”
This is how our first ever customer described this epic three-day adventure and this sentiment has since been repeated many times (for more reviews please visit our TripAdvisor page here). What makes it so? Why does climbing Rinjani have such a profound impact on so many people from around the world? These things are always hard to define and words rarely do justice, but we suppose the main components would be the following: Climbing a mountain represents a genuine challenge, something that requires effort and perseverance as opposed to mere attendance. There are highs and lows, moments of doubt and frustration, thoughts like “When will this damn hill end?” and “Gosh I’m tired” will be on repeat at times! Re-connecting with nature and having a break from “the outside world” can be a very beneficial, revitalising both the body and mind. An experience that offers a fresh perspective on life. Last but not least, going on a daring adventure with a group of loved ones or strangers is a fabulous bonding experience. Three intense days climbing a mountain can result in such an incredible sense of accomplishment and often gift many precious memories and friendships that last a lifetime.
Why choose us?
There are many companies offering trekking on Mt Rinjani, some are experienced and professional, others not so. When we started Rinjani Dawn Adventures we founded it on principles of sustainability and customer service. We focused on the experience we ourselves would like to have, created tours that meet the needs of our diverse range of customers. We understand that for many people this might be the first mountain you have ever climbed, it can be daunting and without the right guide, equipment, nutrition and support it can be unsafe. We have small groups, and a high ratio of guide/s and porters to customers. We have the best equipment on the mountain and the best safety record. As well as safety and professionalism, we also pride ourselves on being a socially and environmentally conscious operator. During the 2018 earthquakes we deployed all our resources to help our community: building a logistics and aid post, supplying food and water to the village of Senaru, providing a vehicle for use as an ambulance, plus building material, labour and much much more. We have an ongoing commitment to our local village and are dedicated to providing valuable income and support to our porters and guides.
Transport and Lodging – Before the Trek
We include transport (pick-up and drop-off) from hotels in North Lombok. If you are staying on mainland Lombok (not the Gili’s) we can arrange to pick you up early on the morning of the trek. If you are staying on the Gilis the night before the trek, you will have to arrange a private speedboat to take you to the mainland (Bangsal Harbour) early enough for us to collect you. transport to Senaru can be changed to the day before, should you wish to spend the night in Senaru before the trek.
Departure/Return LocationRinjani Dawn Adventures office, Senaru.
Departure TimeItinerary 1 from Senaru (approx. 8am trek start) Itinerary 2 from Sembalun (6am).
Return TimeItinerary 1 (approx. 4pm) and Itinerary 2 (approx. 3pm) depending on group fitness levels.
What guests should bringPlease refer to our equipment list and packing guide. As the porters and guides carry the camping and cooking equipment, you should be able to carry everything you personally need in a 30-40L day-pack.
IncludedBottled water, Tea & CoffeeCamping EquipmentEntrance feeLoan jackets/gloves/beanies (subject to availability)Luggage StorageMeals & SnacksPoncho’sTour Guide & Porter/sTransport to and from departure/return point in Zone 1 (refer to travel zones for alternative regions/costs)Trekking Poles
Not IncludedFlightsFree RDA BuffTour guideTransport to and from departure/return point outside of Zone 1 (refer to travel zones for alternative regions/costs)Travel InsuranceVisit to Sendang Gile waterfall in Senaru
Route 1: Option 1 Itinerary: Start in Sembalun, finish in Senaru
Day 1: Sembalun Village > Sembalun Crater Rim
Day consists of approximately 7 hours walking, 1700 vertical meters ascent
- You will be collected by our driver at your hotel on North Lombok.
- You will have breakfast at our office, where the guide will brief you. You can also borrow some gear from us at this point, such as warm jacket, trekking poles, etc.
- After breakfast you will travel with your guide and porters to Sembalun village, East Lombok. The journey takes around an hour and a quarter.
- Your trek will start in Sembalun village, at an elevation of approximately 970m AMSL (above mean sea level).
- Your group will trek for approximately two hours to Pos.1 “Pemantuan”, 1300m AMSL, where you will stop for a rest and snacks.
- The next rest stop, Pos.2 “Tengengean”, is at 1500m AMSL.
- You will trek for around another hour, before arriving at Pos.3 “Pada Balong”. We usually take a one hour lunch break at this rest stop.
- After lunch we will start the climb to Plawangan Sembalun (Sembalun Crater Rim). This is a 3 hour trek up a steep trail. But we stop for rest and water breaks regularly, as required.
- When we arrive at Sembalun Crater Rim (2780m elevation) the guide and porters will set up the campsite and start preparing dinner. You will be offered some refreshments, and will be free to explore the ridgeline and enjoy the magnificent views. We recommend you put on some warm clothes, as temperatures do drop in the evening, and it's easy to get a chill. After dinner you're free to either go to sleep, or enjoy the night sky, which comes alive with stars.
- Your tent will be prepared for you by our guides and porters. You can expect to be sharing the tent with one other person (of the same sex - we don't do mixed unless you know the person or are a couple). If you'd rather have your own tent, we can accommodate this request at an extra cost.
Day 2: Sembalun Crater Rim > Summit > Lake > Senaru Crater Rim
- Day 2 consists of approximately 6-8 hours walking, with 950m of vertical ascent, and 1730m descent.
- You will be woken up in the early morning (usually around 2 / 2.30am, depending on how quickly your guide thinks the group will make it to the summit).
- After a hot drink and snack, you will depart Plawangan Sembalun basecamp, and commence your trek to the summit of Gunung Rinjani.
- The trek to the summit is not easy! The gradient is steep, and the ground is soft underfoot. You will need a head torch, as it will be dark until the sun comes up (unless there is a full moon).
- You will climb to the summit as a group, staying with your guide at all times. This is really important, as there are a couple of areas on the ridgeline that are exposed, and you could fall. You will stop for short rests along the way, but it's important to keep moving to stay warm, and to get to the summit in time for sunrise.
- It usually takes 3-4 hours to reach the summit, but can take longer. We aim to get our groups onto the summit just before the sun comes up, but this will depend on individual and group fitness levels.
- On the summit your guide will prepare a hot drink and offer you some snacks (usually energy bars). It's really important to stay warm, especially if it's windy on the summit (which it is sometimes). Take in the sunrise and views, take selfies, or just take some time to reflect!
- After you have watched the sun come up over Lombok, and celebrated your awesome achievement in reaching the summit of one of Indonesia's most iconic peaks, you will make your way down to Sembalun Crater Rim campsite. It usually only takes an hour to get back down, but again, it depends on fitness levels and physical conditioning. Trekking poles are especially useful for descents.
- When back at the Plawangan Sembalun campsite you will have a big breakfast.
- After breakfast, you will start the descent down to the lake from Plawangan Sembalun.
- There are steep sections on the trail from Plawangan Sembalun to the lake, so you must take care and stay close to your guide. You will descend 780 vertical meters to the lake, which sits 2000m above sea level. It usually takes 2-3 hours, depending on the group.
- You will have lunch at the lake, and also have time to bathe in the thermal springs (a 10m walk from the lake).
- After lunch and a rest, you will start the walk up to Senaru Crater Rim. This is similar to the route down from Sembalun Crater Rim - i.e. it's quite steep, and takes 2-3 hours.
- If you or the group don't feel up to it after the exertions of hiking to the summit, it is possible to camp down at the lake, and climb out of the crater on the final day. This will mean you will finish later on day 3, but providing you don't have a boat of flight to catch, should be manageable.
Day 3: Senaru Crater Rim > Senaru Village
- After breakfast at lake Segara Anak, you will commence the hike up out of the crater, to Senaru Crater Rim.
- The distance to Senaru Crater Rim is not great, but this part of the trek involves steep climbing and a bit of scrambling. The lake sits at 2004m AMSL and Senaru Crater Rim is 2640m AMSL. We usually allow 2-3 hours for this part of the trek.
- You will have a break at Plawangan Senaru, as this is a great vantage point for photos.
- You will then start the walk off the mountain stopping for rest and hydration breaks on the way. After about an hour you will enter the forest, which provides some shade and is cooler than the hillside.
- How long the walk off the mountain from Senaru Crater rim takes will depend on individual and group fitness levels, but we usually average around 4-5 hours. It is steep, so we recommend you use your walking poles for extra stability.
- When you reach Senaru village we will offer you some refreshments, before you meet your driver, who will take you to your final destination.
- It is customary to tip the porters and guides, but this is up to you.
Tour Review Scores And Score Breakdown
See these reviews from former clients of Rinjani Dawn Adventures
Tour Plan Route 2: Start in Sembalun & finish in Senaru. Summit on second day
Day 1 – Sembalun > Sembalun Crater Rim(4)
- Transport from the RDA office in Senaru Village to Sembalun (we will collect you from Sembalun, should you be staying there).
- Registration at RTC Sembalun.
- Start your 4 day / 3 night Rinjani Summit trek from Sembalun village (969m).
- Trek for approximately 7 hours. There will be multiple rest-stops along the way, including a 1-1.5 hour lunch break, where your porters and guides will cook some delicious food.
- 4-5pm – Arrive at Sembalun Crater Rim campsite (also referred to as Plawangan Sembalun & “basecamp”). This sits around 2684m elevation, depending on where on the ridgeline we set-up camp for the night.
Sembalun Crater Rim > Summit > Lake(Approximately 8 hours walking; 1,042m ascent, 640m descent)
- 2am – Guides will wake you up with a hot drink, and a light breakfast.
- 2:30am – Leave basecamp, and start the climb to Mount Rinjani summit. It’s important to wear warm layers when we start, including hats and gloves. These can be taken-off as you warm-up, but as we will be leaving early in the morning it is likely to be cold, especially if there is a wind blowing.
- It takes on average three to four hours to reach the summit. The going will be slow but steady, as the terrain is steep and soft (volcanic sand / tephra).
- 5:30-6apm – We aim to reach the summit as the sun is coming-up over Lombok. Experience the amazing sense of achievement of reaching one of Indonesia’s highest peaks. Admire the views over the crater lake towards Bali, as well as neighbouring Sumbawa to the West. Have a hot cup of coffee / tea, and a snack.
- 7am – Return to basecamp. This is far easier than the walk up, and takes between 1 and 2 hours.
- 9am – Breakfast on Plawangan Sembalun. This will be leisurely, as the second part of the day will just involve descending down to the crater lake. Have a rest, and perhaps a little nap.
- 12pm – Lunch, followed by packing-up camp, and starting the walk down to the crater lake. The walk down to the crater lake is steep in parts, so you will have to take-care and ask your guide for a hand if you are not confident.
- 3pm (approx.) – Arrive at lake Segara Anak. Have a rest and snack whilst the porters and guide set-up camp.
- 3:30-4pm - Visit the thermal springs that are a short 15-20 minute walk from the campsite. Bathe and relax in these warm waters.
- 6pm – Dinner by the lake.
Lake > Senaru Crater Rim(Approximately 4 hours walking; 633m ascent)
- 8:30am – Wake-up, have breakfast.
- 9:30am – Explore the lake and go to the hot springs for a shower / bath.
- 11:30am – Pack-up camp and commence hike to Senaru Crater Rim (with rest breaks en route).
- 3:30pm – Arrive at Senaru Crater Rim, set up camp.
- 6pm – Dinner at Senaru Crater Rim, watch the sunset.
- Evening stargazing and sleep!